Research tells us that a sedentary lifestyle puts us at greater risk for heart disease, some cancers, type 2 diabetes, stroke, bone loss, dementia, and a host of other chronic conditions. With this in mind, Masterpiece Living (MPL) created Movement Matters®.
Movement Matters® is a month-long signature campaign by Masterpiece Living (MPL) designed to inspire and challenge its more than 80 partner organizations across the nation to move more, to move with purpose, and to make that increased movement a way of life throughout the year.
This included setting personal goals such as, “I move for…” (e.g. “my grandchildren,” “greater health,” etc.). This year’s Movement Matters® was scheduled throughout the month of May and included participants from all levels of living. Using a tracking sheet, participants measured how many minutes of movement they engaged in per week. At the month’s end, organizations submitted their movement minutes along with success stories that took place at their community during the campaign. MPL awarded seven communities in 2018 for the innovative ways in which they chose to move.
Masterpiece Living is proud to recognize the following communities as 2018 Movement Matters® award recipients:
- Most Creative Theme: Community Wellness Partners
- Team Member Participation: The Terraces at Los Altos (Human Good)
- Intergenerational Impact: The Terraces at San Joaquin Gardens (Human Good)
- Moving with Purpose: Glen Meadows Retirement Community (Presbyterian Senior Living)
- Highest Resident Participation: Presbyterian Home at Williamsport (Presbyterian Senior Living)
- Greater Community Impact: Westminster Woods at Huntingdon (Presbyterian Senior Living)
- Most Movement and Most Inclusive: The Barrington of Carmel (an SQLC Community)
“Initiatives like Movement Matters® give communities a unique opportunity to offer more than just a standard wellness program,” Dr. Roger Landry, President of Masterpiece Living and author of Live Long, Die Short: A Guide to Authentic Health and Successful Aging said. “At Masterpiece Living, we inspire people to recognize their potential by integrating not just one of the components that result in a better successful aging experience – but all of them.”
Congratulations to the 2018 Movement Matters® winners!