By 2050, it is projected that 88.5 million Americans (one in five) will be aged 65 and older – more than double the projected 40.2 million in 2010. There is no question that we as a society must adapt to the growing older adult population. Coupled with the knowledge from a landmark ten-year study by the MacArthur Foundation, which revealed that 70% of physical aging and approximately 50% of mental aging is determined by the lifestyle choices that we make every day, Masterpiece Living (MPL) set out to create the best successful aging destinations in the country.
MPL introduced the groundbreaking Center for Successful Aging (CSA) designation to distinguish organizations that have set themselves apart from all others by implementing best successful aging practices that benefit residents and team members while promoting a lifestyle of growth, social connections, purpose and resilience.
Currently, there are only seventeen CSA organizations nationwide. Among them, Friendship Village of Bloomington (A Lifespace Community) was awarded CSA designation this year.
“Centers for Successful Aging provide a fundamental change in our view of where we will live and how we will spend our days when we’re older,” MPL President and award-winning author of Live Long, Die Short: A Guide to Authentic Health and Successful Aging, Dr. Roger Landry, said. “CSAs are regional centers of excellence and are a valuable resource for cities and towns who are struggling to adapt to a growing older adult population. They have also taken on the responsibility of outreach for those aging in place, and will eventually be among those who bring about a change in public policy and the way we treat our aging population.”
CSA recipients have incorporated all of the criteria set by a team of experts in the field of aging. These cultural changes are woven into the fabric of their community and include trained leadership and data-driven decision making, active coaching and the use of empowering language, community outreach and civic engagement, caregiver and family member support, physical adaptations to their environment to support successful aging, and multidimensional programming that includes intergenerational initiatives as well as resident-led events that tap into a collective human capital.
Here is the complete list of current CSAs:
- Acacia Creek
- The Buckingham at Houston (A Senior Quality Lifestyles Corporation)
- Clermont Park (A Christian Living Community)
- Edgemere (A Senior Quality Lifestyle Community)
- Friendship Village of Bloomington (A Lifespace Community)
- Holly Creek (A Christian Living Community)
- Judson Park (An ABHOW Community)
- Las Ventanas (An ABHOW Community)
- Plymouth Village (An ABHOW Community)
- Presbyterian Village at Hollidaysburg (A Presbyterian Senior Living Community)
- Querencia at Barton Creek (A Senior Quality Lifestyles Corporation Community)
- Quincy Village (A Presbyterian Senior Living Community)
- Rosewood Retirement Community (An ABHOW Community)
- Someren Glen (A Christian Living Community)
- The Stayton at Museum Way (A Senior Quality Lifestyles Corporation Community)
- The Terraces at San Joaquin Gardens (An ABHOW Community)
- The Terraces of Phoenix (An ABHOW Community)
Congratulations, Friendship Village of Bloomington!